Agnes Marie Hughes, SSJ
From the time she was about five years old, Sister Agnes Marie knew she wanted to be a sister. She entered the Sisters of St. Joseph of Northwestern Pennsylvania in 1950 from her home parish, Immaculate Conception, in Osceola Mills, PA, and professed her final vows in 1956.
She graduated from Osceola Mills High School in Osceola Mills, PA and from Villa Maria College in Erie with a BS in Elementary Education. Sister Agnes Marie taught at St. Ann, Blessed Sacrament, Holy Rosary, St. Andrew, St. Joseph, and St. Patrick schools in Erie and at St. Leo School in Ridgway, PA and St. Francis School in Clearfield, PA. She also ministered at Erie Day Nursery, Houtzdale Catechetical Center, and as an Infirmary Assistant for her congregation. She provided home care for her brother in Osceola Mills for several years and retired from active ministry in 2011. In her retirement, she participated in the Sisters of St. Joseph prayer card ministry.